Tag Archives: Chicken

Murphy’s Chickens Completed

The painting of the Murphy’s Chickens is complete.  This was a fun piece to do, and I think I’ll try a couple of more chicken paintings.

Advertisements

Chicken Painting Added

A small portrait of one of the Murphy’s chickens has been added to Paintings, 2010.

Chicken Update #3

The second chicken is almost complete.  I used three different photos and arranged them in this composition.  I am attempting to show how lively these birds are, and have painted them on a warm, bright, sandy background.  The working title is Murphy’s Chickens.  This painting should be complete in a couple of weeks.  You can click on these photos for a larger version.

I was able to get close to this Red-wing Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus) on the Pow Wow River last weekend.  He was sitting on a jumble of old roots in a mud bank.  This shows the general layout and the under-painting of the major elements.  I usually tone the background before starting the work, but this time I am using the bright white of the gesso on the canvas.  I want the colors to reflect the bright, sunny morning.

I always try to have two or three paintings in the works.  This gives me a chance to switch to another piece if I’m experiencing difficulty with a particular painting.  The next time I go back to the work I put aside, I can have a fresh look at it and can usually get past the difficult spot.  I call this “letting it cook” and it always works.

I will be working on both of these paintings (and a couple of others) at the Mann’s Apple Orchard show next weekend.  I will be demonstrating my painting techniques and showing three new paintings both days of the show.  See the post below for additional information about the show.  Hope to see you there.

Chicken Update #2

I finished the layout and under-painting on the chickens, and started with the foreground dirt and the chicken on the left.  That one is a Rhode Island Red.  I put a grasshopper in his beak as a neat detail.  I am trying to get the soft, fluffy look of the feathers, and some action in the placement of the birds.

Look at the tail of this bird, and you can see how I added successive strokes of color on top of the blue/green under-painting, gradually building up the mass of the feathers.  This area still needs some color and shadow adjustments to finish it off.

These were very lively birds and I needed to use the “action” setting on the digital camera when taking a long shot.  I also got some great close-up photos, and want to do a portrait of one of the birds next.  I’ll add another photo when the second chicken is complete.  Stay tuned.

Blue and Green Chickens. Really.

I began another painting Sunday evening.  A family in the neighborhood sells fresh eggs, and they were kind enough to let me take photographs of the chickens.  I had been thinking about this painting for a while, and all I needed were photos of the birds.  This is the first step in the process.  As always, I begin the under-painting with a complementary color.

I’ll post updates as this painting progresses. Oh, the eggs were wonderful!  Stay tuned.